Saturday, May 9, 2009

the old apple box


I hit a garage sale in my neighborhood Saturday. Don't know if I was just in the mood or she had a lot of GOOD STUFF, but I came home with a car load. One of my thrifty treasures was this old apple box. Don't you just love it? I love boxes and this one is so nostalgic. It was just what I needed to cozy up my kitchen desk area. I have run out of space to store my cookbooks so I thought I would use this to do the trick.

Our gracious Thrifty Treasures host, Rhoda had a post a while back where she lined a cupboard back with burlap. Well, I stored this back in my mental file cabinet and that's what gave me the idea to line the inside back of my box. I had some leftover toile from my window treatments. Just the perfect touch! Thanks for that clever idea, Rhoda!
BTW, I know what you're thinking. She corded that to go in a box! NO WAY! This was a salvaged project that didn't work out so I just used it here.


You could use any fabric that you choose or you could even use scrapbook or wrapping paper for this project. I just stapled it on the back.


Now comes the fun part. I filled my box with cookbooks and sugar and creamer. Then I filled the sugar bowl with coffee beans and added a battery operated candle to lighten up the interior of my box. The top needed a little softening so I placed a napkin on the top and barely draped the embroidered tulips over the edge.


A hand painted lamp I bought at a craft fair years ago, an old rolling pin, cookbooks, and a treasured photograph set on top of the box.


Here's a photo of the box next to the window so you can see how the interior fabric matches the toile strip down the window shade. I should probably mention the board behind the desk shown in the next photo. To create this I did the following:
  1. I started with plywood and then covered it with batting that you would buy in a craft or fabric store.

  2. Covered the batting with muslin. I just stapled the batting and the muslin on the back with a staple gun.

  3. Cut bias strips of the same striped fabric of my roman shades and crisscrossed the board as seen in the photo. I used brass tacks to secure. It's a great place to hold all my photos, invitations, announcements or whatever.

And here's the finished project (for now anyway). As you know, a decorator at heart is never through. :)

Be sure and check out all the other transformations at our other most gracious host, Susan's Metamorphosis Monday.

42 comments:

Robin All Things Heart and Home said...

I love this charming repurpose. Just a great idea all around!
Robin
All Things Heart and Home

Lindsay said...

I like it! Very cute!

Dawn said...

Wow! What a great idea! It looks great!

Hugs from Eventually Cottage!

WhisperWood Cottage said...

You are so crafty!

Amy

Kammy said...

Cool, love it ! I like it when you
are able to use all the colors to
tie everything in the room together ! Great job !
Hugs ~ Kammy

Christi @ A Southern Life said...

Love your find and what you did with it. I'm always looking for new places to store cookbooks. This is a great idea!

Unknown said...

I love to repurpose discarded items! Wooden crates make perfect book shelves and what a nice touch with the red fabric.;D

Unknown said...

Lovely! Great find!

Barb @ The Everyday Home said...

Marsha - I love it! I love the vintage detail on the side of the box. How clever to add fabric inside. It is a perfect addition to your chaming kitchen. And who doesn't need more storage space. Thx for sharing your creative ideas. hugs, Barb

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

Great use of fabric! I love your old box, it looks great in there!

My mind thinks of lots of things, but your under cabinet message board has never occured to me. That is FABULOUS! You are a genious.

~Misti

Martha said...

How clever to use the apple box to store cookbooks and I love the fabric on the back -- the red looks very pretty.

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

I am so impressed, this looks just fabulous! Creative and thrifty, now thats just my style! Love it, Cindy

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

Great idea with the cookbook holding box....love the red toile! Linda

Amanda@Imperfectly Beautiful said...

LOVE that apple box. It is precious with the fabric added to the bottom. What a fun project.

~Amanda

Mrs. Petrie said...

I like what you did with that box. The flickering candle really took it over the top!

Sherrie said...

Very unique! I love the colors you use in this area!
~Sherrie

Melissa Miller said...

It's really beautiful! :)

Allidink said...

What a neat find! I love the fabric in the back :)

All the best,
Allison

Chuck Dilmore said...

So much love, here!
I love the apple box project
as well as all of the other goodness.

Just beautiful~
Chuck

trish said...

What a great idea for your Gravenstein Apple box. I haven't eaten gravenstein apples since moving from CA. Your picture pulled on my heart strings for home! :o)
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Marsha, what a great idea with the old apple box, love that label. And the inside lined with toile, genius! Thanks for playing this week.

Betty Jo said...

Marsha your box is gorgeous in your kitchen. What a super find. I adore your photo board too, and it sounds so easy. Think I'll make one for my office. ♥

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

I love the apple box idea. And thanks for showing me the step by step (so I can copy it someday??).

Debbie said...

What a cute idea. Love it. Debbie

janet said...

Marsha, i love what you did to your charming apple bos, good going
hugs
janet

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

What a great box and what a wonderful way to reuse it. I love the fabric inside. The back of the cabinet space is also such a great look and so functional. This just makes such a pretty place to do work and look at. Very well done and full of inspiration. Love it all. Hugs, Marty

Jadehollow said...

Creative idea.. Looks great.
Hugs,
Debbie

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

LOVE your drapes/shade! Very pretty! The box was such a great addition! Love the fabric! ~Rhonda :)

marmielu said...

That box was a wonderful find! I like what you did with it. I got some good ideas looking at all your pictures.
Mary Lou

Merrie said...

How inspiring. What beautiful toile'! I have a large wooden crate that I found in a thrift store two summers ago, and didnt know what to do with. Now, the wheels are turning...it's to big to use the same way you did but the ideas are starting to come to me now. Thanks for posting!

Anne Marie said...

cute idea! love the toile!

Happy (belated) Mother's day :)

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Marsha...

Oooh...what a GRAND idea!!! I just love how you took this great old wooden box and made it into a book shelf!!! Okay...now you have my wheels a turnin', my friend...I have a couple of these old boxes that I could do this with!!! Ohhh...I'm so glad that you shared your idea with us!!! Love that beautiful red toile fabric...but I have to admit I almost died when I seen you cut it...hehe! But it made a beautiful background for your shelf...wheewww...I was worried when I seen the scissors! Hehe!!! Beautiful vignette setting atop your new book shelf...so pretty, my friend!!!

Warmest wishes,
Chari

joyh82 said...

Awesome idea! Love the box and how it all turned out. Are those little longaberger baskets I see?

From the Old InkWell said...

Yes, you are right Joy. You did see longaberger baskets on my desk. I got those and some others years ago and still love them! They are timeless.

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

That...was a great idea. You certainly are creative! :)
Mona

ArneA said...

I have an old IBook G3 from Apple, but have no chance to make anything out of it except keeping it and in about 10 years tell my newborn grandchild Maja that in 2009 we used that kind of computer. When she is 20 I believe she have no interest for laptops at all.
The times they are a´changing now, then as always

Southern Lady said...

Hi, Marsha ...

I love your apple box -- it was pretty as it was, but now it perfectly complements your kitchen decor and you can enjoy it every day.

Congratulations on being honored by David in his "Posts of the Day."

lime said...

what a great idea! i love it. and congrats on POTD

Maureen said...

Wow! I love it! You are giving me ideas here.... hmmm.

First time reader here from Authorblog (congrats on the POTD!)

I shall return ;)

Cheffie-Mom said...

Very cool! I'm over from David's authorblog. Congrats on the Post of the Day Award!

Tattered and Lost said...

I'm COMPLETELY green with envy over this box! I just found your post through David's authorblog. What a surprise to see a Sebastopol apple box. Really green with envy and that is the color of the trees outside my window. I live in one of the old orchards from the long gone by days of this grower's association. I have never seen this label. Glad to see a bit of the old farms lives on somewhere else. Great post.

Vee said...

Very clever! I just love it and may have to copy it.